What are the dogs trained to do?
- Retrieve dropped items
- Bring the phone
- Help get undressed by pulling on clothes
- Help with transitions
- Carry items in a backpack
- Open doors in the home
- Press handicap door buttons when out in public
- Open drawers
- Provide emotional support and comfort
- Help get up from a chair or the floor
- Provide balance and stability when walking
- Pick up and return a cane if it falls off of the wheelchair
- Unload clothes from the dryer.
What does science say?
A 2014 study on the “Effects of Partnerships Between People With Mobility Challenges and Service Dogs” showed that mobility assistance dogs can help in decreasing the time it takes to complete a task and in facilitating social interactions.