Recognized internationally as a premier service dog provider, Medical Mutts Service Dogs’ mission is to train homeless dogs as service dogs to help people with a disability. We strive to build successful partnerships between clients and dogs based on mutual care, respect, and love. Our high standards and our compassionate approach facilitate the deepest bond between the clients and their service dog and benefit both the dog and the person.
Medical Mutts uses positive reinforcement methods of training that promote strong relationships and effective teamwork. We work with dogs from rescues and shelters as well as owner dogs. All dogs undergo a standardized training program before they become service dogs.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in finding the right people for the mission. Medical Mutts’ employees embrace a work-life balance while being trusted to achieve our goals and serve our clients and dogs. We offer continuing education and growth opportunities for those seeking increasing responsibilities as we continue to develop a world-class nonprofit.
We have an immediate opening for a full-time position as a Service Dog Trainer with experience in training dogs and coaching people.
Your job will include:
- The caring and training of the dogs. You will be responsible for training dogs through their different phases which include obedience to advanced specialized skills for people with disabilities.
- Maintaining each dog’s training and evaluation records.
- Assisting in all aspects of maintaining the dogs and the facility in good condition, which consists of feeding the dogs, cleaning the kennels, grooming, and providing medication when needed.
- Coaching service dog clients and helping them train their own service dogs.
Our trainers are responsible for training client-ready service dogs as well as helping the clients learn how to work with the dogs, so good communication skills, patience, and the desire to help and make a difference are a must. You’ll need to enjoy working with both dogs and people.
Our training methods are based on the principles of classical and operant conditioning. You’ll need to be familiar with clicker training, learning theory, and behavior modification protocols. We do not use coercion methods. We use and promote positive reinforcement-based methods only.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Minimum of 1-year experience in training dogs professionally.
- Experience training with clicker training.
- Understanding of learning theory and behavior modification.
- CPDT-KA or KPA preferred.
The right candidate must:
- Be able to work weekends and holidays
- Be comfortable working with people
- Enjoy helping and coaching people
- Be able to lift 50lbs and stand for extended hours.
- Be able to work outside in cold and warm temperatures.
- Have patience with both dogs and people.
- Have the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Have good communication skills and a customer service attitude.
- Be able to work in an environment with exposure to disinfectant/sanitation, animal dander, loud noise, and excretions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.00 – $17.00 per hour based on experience
If you’re interested in this position, please provide a cover letter and resume to email@example.com